Saturday, October 16, 2010

1 Day till Marathon - Getting Ready!

Got up and went for a little 2 mile jog around downtown Charlottetown. It was a beautiful calm morning in PEI, unlike the blizzard wind conditions last night. I ran down Queen St. to Peaks Quay and back. Just enough to stretch my muscles and take in the morning fresh air. Here is my view as I ran along the water this morning. How could you not want to take up this sport! Get up really early even before the sun has risen and be the first to take in the still water views!
I went back to the hotel and got the rest of the lazy heads out of bed and then we went over to the Kids Spud Run, where all the kids got a chance to participate in a 1 km fun run around the track. Sophie and Nana did the race. It was Sophie's first race and she ran the whole way by herself at 3 years old, 1km in 7mins 59 secs.
 The clock says 8.14 but we had to a retake action shot because people were in the way and we couldn't see Sophie in the picture but she did complete it in under 8 mins! Super Star!

Then we headed over the race kit pick up and trade show, logged out chip, picked up a few goodies like a new shirt, some gus and a hat! Off to eat some pasta and then back to the hotel room for a rest.
I spent the afternoon visiting some old friends here on the island and now I'm sitting in the hotel room getting all my stuff ready for tomorrow morning. WOW I had no idea the amount of stuff you need to remember to do before a run. This list is unbelievable when you think about it. All I"m doing tomorrow is running...but there is a science to it.
To start off with, I decided to have a nice hot bath to soak my muscles for tomorrow. Aaah that felt good!
Called for a wake up call at 5am, I asked for two cups of hot water to be left outside my door at 5am too, I'm sure the hotel staff think I'm nuts but we will need to have our hot cereal as soon as we get up so we have time to digest and go to washroom before the race. A friend of mine who has run 93 marathons told me you don't want your body using it's energy to digest your food while you are running, you want that to be finished with before you start running so that you can benefit from the carbs in your breakfast. Makes sense, glad she told me that, I'll get up for 5 am to do that!
Now to get all my stuff ready, some of the stuff I can have ready and waiting like my bib number attached, chip timer attached, watch, head band, socks, sneakers, ipod etc. but for clothes! What will I wear?
If you look at the weather network work it looks like we will be swimming to the finish line!
8am 10°C Cloudy with showers Cloudy with showers
9am 10°C Light rain Light rain
10am 10°C Light rain Light rain Sunshine Destinations
11am 10°C Light rain Light rain Attractions Forecast
12pm 10°C Light rain Light rain

Positives are that it's not cold, negatives...I really haven't run in the rain so I'm not sure what to expect! I guess that day way back in August when it was poring rain and thundering, I should of gone outside and ran just so I could experience running in the rain. But I'm sure to find out tomorrow what it's all about. Much like the old saying 'I"m singing in the rain, I'm singing in the rain...what a wonderful feeling to be running in the rain!!'
I hope to keep my fans posted on my progress on Facebook, so feel free to send me a message. I'll probably see it!!
P.S. THANKS - so many thank you to send out to my family, friends, fans and supporters, I really couldn't of done this if it wasn't for a group effort from all of you supporting me, encouraging me, praising me and just loving me!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I truly appreciate each and every one of you.

P.S.S. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon if and when I start training for my next one!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment